Employees more productive by workplace optimisation?
What is the productivity in your company? Expressed as a percentage of output or performance. How effective is the effort, measured in a human-friendly way? By paying attention to good working methods and workplace optimisation, the section personnel becomes manageable. AQM International Consulting can help with this.
Applied technics for work methods and work spots:
- Work study and labour science;
- SMED (Single-Minute Exchange of Die);
- OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness);
- Lean Manufacturing;
- Cost Management;
- VSM (Value Stream Mapping)
- Change Management;
- Continuous Improvement;
- Time study (norm times);
- Methods-Time Measurement (MTM).
– MTM-1, MEK, UAS, MTM-2, MTM-SD
– Ergonomic Assessment WorkSheet (EAWS)
– ProKon© for product development.
- Productivity increase,
- Optimal work methods,
- Cost avoidance,
- Quality improvement,
- Capacity insight,
- Human work conditions.
Casus: winding rolls
Actually, the following elaboration is an indirect consequence of the customer order. The assignment was to investigate how output growth could be achieved without major investments. This was preceded by a number of preconditions. This is not important for the elaboration. As is often the case, there is always an opportunity in projects to add something extra to the project. In this project, too, it was possible to add value to the project. Independently of the assignment, but in conjunction with the assignment.
Project approach and findings during the inventory:
In taking stock of the current situation, I encountered a large workload at a machine. As a service to the customers, long canvases of rolls were flooded onto smaller rolls. In the corridors it was noted that the large roll lengths went to the competitor, while they themselves received more and more orders for small rolls. During the investigation it became clear why: the customer paid the same price per metre, regardless of the length of the reel. However, rolls with less fabric length were clearly much more laborious. This resulted in a large workload for the employees. As a by-product of my research, I visualized two situations in which the total length is the same for the customer. As shown below in the graph, where the customer gets a total of 600 meters. The 2 rolls of 300 meters at the top give a shorter turnaround time, because actions can take place during the turnaround time. In the second situation, 12 rolls of 50 meters, this is clearly not the case.
- With the visualisation, sales now also understood why orders for small rolls were increasing. In the case of new price agreements, a more realistic meter price was implemented.
- An outdated machine was replaced, which significantly reduced the workload, thanks to more automated operations. In addition, this reduced the turnaround time for shorter rolls.
Read another case? Click here for Case 2© 2020 AQM International Consulting