More capacity due to process optimisation?
It is often thought that there is a lack of production capacity. In many cases there is still space, although you often don’t see that yourself anymore. That’s why it makes sense to have someone from outside investigate the possibilities. AQM International Consulting helps to increase productivity by process optimisation and making the best possible use of working methods.
Applied technics at production processes:
- Thorough as-is Analysis;
- Visualising as is and to be situation;
- Value Stream Mapping (VSM);
- Visual management;
- Significant lead-time shortening,
- Capacity increase,
- Higher customer satisfaction,
- Cost reduction,
- Quality improvement,
- Lay-out (with takt-possibility).
Case: Turnover increase
This client, with clear growth ambitions, wanted to achieve 50% more turnover in two years’ time. The target for the coming year was 25% and for the following year the remaining 25%. In the existing situation, they found little room to act. Facilities were therefore necessary. Nevertheless, two demands were made. The extra turnover had to be achieved with the current employees, still in day shifts. There were a number of reasons for this, but they are irrelevant in this case. Another tricky issue was the delivery of material to the machines. Every machine operator has the possibility of making his own optimal daily schedule. This guarantees optimum output and flexibility. However, this makes it difficult to coordinate the activities of the forklift truck. For example, wrong, too early, too late and/or too much is delivered.
Inventory of the current situation starts with the collection of the necessary, existing data. The establishment of a zero point is also an important point of reference at the start. Due to the lack of data, a calculation model was drawn up and practical data were collected by means of time recording and labour analysis.
- Lack of space between the machines due to common use
- Search for material between the machines due to the delivery sequence
- Large workload
- Practically no flow between the winding machines
more output (by small adjustments)
– less searching through more space and material organisation
– less workload and better working conditions
- 2 revised machines for an output increase of approx. 25%.
- 1 machine was scrapped and then replaced
- the number of employees has remained the same
- production still only in daytime service
- Software modification (incl. improved info forklift driver)
Read another case? Click here for Case 1.© 2020 AQM International Consulting